Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Classic Pressure Cooker with Handle 3.5l 20 cm
By KUHN RIKON
High Street £115.86
Size: 3.5 Litre/20 cm
The Duromatic Pressure Cooker - Full Steam Ahead Since 1949
Following the acquisition of their original premises in Rikon (near Zurich), Switzerland in 1926, Kuhn Rikon’s ever-present association with pressure cookers was initially stimulated by the need for cookware that was compatible with the then brand new electric stoves. One year later - and under the ‘Duro’ trademark - the company’s first successful cookware was manufactured.
The Duromatic Pressure Cooker was developed in 1949 and quickly became synonymous with all pressure cookers. An instant hit, the hugely successful product became Kuhn Rikon Switzerland’s very first export.
The Spring-Loaded Valve - the Key to a New Generation of Pressure Cookers
Although popular at that time, preparing meals using an old-fashioned weight-valve pressure cooker was accompanied by an element of fear, predominantly due to the constant sound of hissing that they routinely produced.
That all changed when Jacques Kuhn, an engineer and future manager of Kuhn Rikon, developed the spring-loaded valve that is now integral to all new-generation pressure cookers.
As well as eliminating disconcerting noise, the revolutionary new valve prevented the substantial guesswork that had traditionally been associated with pressure cookers. Instead, a new degree of precision timing was now possible and the risk of over-cooking food was dramatically reduced.
Steam Pressure Inside a Duromatic - a ‘Red Ring’ of Precision
The ingenious spring-loaded valve of Duromatic Pressure Cookers contains two red rings within its stem. The rings accurately reflect the internal pressure within the pan at any time. The first red ring denotes a pressure of 5.8 PSI (pounds per square inch). The second red ring signifies a pressure of 11.6 PSI. The stem of the valve automatically rises as the pressure increases and the heat from the stovetop should be modified accordingly in order to maintain the correct pressure. A PSI of 5.8 is associated with a temperature of 229 degrees Fahrenheit/109.44 degrees Celsius. A PSI of 11.6 corresponds to a temperature of 243 degrees Fahrenheit/117.22 degrees Celsius.
The cooking times for many foods/meals are associated with specific PSI levels.
Too Much Pressure - not With Duromatic!
Duromatic Pressure Cookers incorporate multiple steam release safety systems that prevent the attainment of excessive/potentially dangerous pressure levels. Once the spring-loaded valve rises beyond the second red ring, pressure is automatically released. Steam is also able to escape from multiple locations when necessary. If the main valve becomes clogged or damaged, an alternative valve and safety path is activated.
In addition, Duromatic Pressure Cookers feature an automatic lid locking system. It is not possible to remove the lid when any pressure exists within the pan. The pressure must be released in its entirety before the lid can be detached. This is accomplished by either manually pressing the spring-loaded valve or via a natural cooling process once away from the heat source.
Premium-Quality Materials and Cutting-Edge Manufacturing Processes
Kuhn Rikon Switzerland only selects the finest raw materials for their cookware. The 18/10 stainless steel from which the Duromatic Pressure Cookers are crafted is rust, corrosion and chip resistant. Unlike cheaper alternatives, the quality of the stainless steel is reflected by its substantial weight and robustness.
Kuhn Rikon Pressure Cookers are not allowed to leave the factory until they are subjected to a rigorous durability test that replicates 50 years of use.
The state-of-the-art production processes are planned and regulated by computers. This includes the bending of the sheet steel and fusing it onto the multi-layered base plates. All joints are then checked using electronic monitoring equipment.
Many of these procedures were developed internally as a result of Kuhn Rikon Switzerland’s significant knowledge advantage in relation to the manufacturing of high-class pressure cookers.
The Superthermic Sandwich Base - Save Time and Energy
The ability of Duromatic Pressure Cookers to prepare food so efficiently (using 70% less energy/taking one third of the time) is largely attributable to their sophisticated aluminium Superthermic sandwich base. Its waved/corrugated profile not only provides high stability and resistance to distortion, it also ensures optimal and uniform heat distribution. When exposed to heat the material expands so that even the middle of the base is in direct contact with the hob/stovetop, something that isn’t achievable with standard cookware.
Use and Care Instructions
Duromatic Pressure Cookers are designed to provide a lifetime of regular usage. Following the below guidelines will help to ensure that their longevity is maximised.
1) Although the pot is dishwasher safe, cleaning by hand is less abrasive and is therefore recommended.
2) Warm water and conventional detergents are sufficient for normal soiling.
3) For more intensive soiling or scale, use a chromium steal cleaner.
4) Remove any limescale effectively using vinegar or lemon juice.
5) Avoid the use of knives, steel wool or metal scourers when removing stubborn food (they will scratch).
The 10-Year Guarantee
Duromatic Pressure Cookers are guaranteed for a period of 10 years from the date of purchase in accordance with general domestic usage. The spare parts (valve, gasket etc) are guaranteed for a period of 1 year. They can be purchased separately as extras/replacements if necessary. Box Contains:
1 x Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Classic Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker with Long Handle, 3.5 Litre/20 cm
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Model details: 671187
- 3.5 litre/20 cm (diameter) pressure cooker - can be used to prepare a huge variety of foods/meals and will produce up to 4 servings
- Features an advanced, spring-loaded valve that accurately reflects the internal pressure within the pan (allows precise cooking times/eradicates the guesswork that can cause spoilage)
- Extremely quiet - valve also eliminates the noise/hissing that is traditionally associated with pressure cookers
- Designed for optimal safety - automatic locking system prevents removal of the lid whilst pressure exists within the pan
- Multiple steam release back-up systems offset excess/unwanted rises in pressure
- Crafted from premium-quality, polished, 18/10 stainless steel that is rust, corrosion and chip-resistant
- Superthermic aluminium base enables rapid absorption/even distribution of heat and is compatible with all stovetops (including induction)
- Designed and manufactured in Switzerland since 1949
- Capacity: Unknown5 litres
- Pressure Cookers Stainless Steel Silver
- Included: 1 x Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Classic Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker with Long Handle, 3.5 Litre/20 cm
- Size: 41.5 x 22 x 17 cm 2.28 Kg